This Berry Citrus
I have this thing for salads now. I remember whenever we had lunch or dinner at home, my mother always asked me to make the salad and me-being-me, I’d try out a new salad every time. Everyone loved those, so I guess that’s how it all started.
Of all those salads I’ve tried and made over the years, this Berry Citrus Salad is my favorite. It’s juicy, has that sweetness from the berries and oranges, is a bit tart and tangy from that pickled onion and pomegranate and some crunchy, sweet and salty pistachios and almonds on the top. Also the Lemon Poppy Seed dressing enhances the flavor and makes a lot more wholesome!
Give it a try before the berries and orange season slips away. It’s so refreshing to look at, it’s even more refreshing on those spring/summer afternoons.
Argula Berry Citrus Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
For Pickled Red Onion
- 1/2 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup water
For Honey Glazed Pistachios and Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Pistachios (sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Almonds (sliced)
- 2 tsp Butter
- 3 tsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Tbsp Ginger (freshly grated)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Poppy Seeds
For The Salad
- 1 Cup Strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 Oranges (peeled and sliced)
- 2 Cup Baby Arugula
- Pickled Onion
- Honey glazed Pistachios and Almonds
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
For Pickled Onions
- In a bowl combine water and white vinegar, add in sugar and salt. Whisk until dissolved completely.
- Add in onion slices.
- Set aside for at least 15 minutes, while you prepare rest of the salad.
For Honey Glazed
- Pistachios and Almonds: Prepare a foil sheet by rubbing cooking oil to lightly grease the surface.
- In a thick bottom pan melt butter over medium heat, add honey and stir to combine.
- Now add the nuts and cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Sprinkle salt and stir gently.
- Spread the nuts onto the prepared foil sheet.
- Set aside to cool. Some nuts might stick together and clump, but that’s okay.
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
For the Salad
- Place the Arugula on your salad dish.
- Top it with strawberries, oranges, pickled onions and pomegranate.
- Drizzle the Lemon Poppy Seed dressing and sprinkle glazed pistachios and almonds on the top.