Bhel Puri – a crunchy, flavorful chaat, is one of the most popular street foods in Pakistan and India. This delicious snack is low in calories but packed with zesty flavors and crunchy textures. A traditional
Bhel means mixture and Bhel puri is all about textures. While a chaat generally has two or three basic ingredients, bhel-puri has a lot more ingredients which
I was first introduced to this delicious snack in my childhood when a restaurant Lahore Chatkhara opened up in Lahore that served a variety of popular street foods. Our favorites on the menu were
Replacing puri with biscuits (crackers) in Biscuit Bhel does not change the flavors of the chaat at all. It saves you from preparing those deep fried puris, unless you’re getting pre-made puris from the store. You can easily prepare this quick and jhat pat recipe in 10 minutes. It’s super easy, you can use the list of ingredients shared below and can add more as per your taste palate and liking. I do suggest using the ingredients mentioned because these are the basic ingredients for the dish but feel free to adjust as per your taste.
The star ingredients of this chaat are the three must-have chutneys that give this chaat that sweet, spicy, tangy and chatpata flavor. As bhel puri and this biscuit bhel is all about texture – the crispy puffed rice, soft but firm boiled potatoes, crunchy crackers (biscuits), crisp sev, sweet and spicy chutneys and small pieces of onions that squish as you bite into them (salivating??), all these together make this chaat/snack/street food a favorite and oh so delicious!
Biscuit Bhel (Bhel Puri with a Twist)
- 1 Cup Puffed Rice
- 1 Cup Spiced Boondi
- 1/2 Cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Potato (boiled and diced)
- 2 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- 12 Crackers (biscuits)
- 1/2 Tbsp Chaat Masala
- 2 Tbsp Green Chutney
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Date Chutney
- 2 Tbsp Imli Chutney (Tamarind Chutney)
- 3 Tbsp Sev for garnish
- Fresh Corriander for garnish
- In a large bowl add boiled potatoes, onions, green chilies and crackers. Top these with the chutneys and mix well.
- Now add spiced boondi, puffed rice and toss everything together
- Garnish with fresh corriander, sev, some chopped onion and chaat masala