Rice Soup or Khao Tom in Thai language is a staple in Thailand eaten for breakfast or as a late-night meal. I always wanted to make it but had been waiting for winter season because this soup is packed with flavors I really wanted to enjoy it to the fullest in the cold season. With rice, chicken, peanuts and Thai chilies, this Rice Soup is “Comfort in a bowl”
What I like the most about this soup is that it is prepared with simple ingredients. The flavors from aromatic lemon grass and ginger gives this soup a very distinct and refreshing lemony taste, that I love the most. It’s such a perfect bowl for winter season to keep you warm and helps specially when you’ve got the cold or flu. A bowl of this rice soup is so welcoming and comforting when you’ve had a long day, it refreshes you.
For this recipe I used Reem ka Steam Rice which came true to it’s description. Fragrant, aromatic long grain rice. Each grain was separate when cooked. These came out just perfect as cooked rice should be.
There are different cooking methods when it comes to making this Rice Soup. It’s either made by cooking the rice separately and then adding to soup or by cooking the rice in the Chicken stock. I used the first method and prepared this soup in two steps: (i) Cooking the rice separately (ii) preparing the Soup. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out and absolutely love the flavors. I didn’t get a chance to try the authentic Rice soup in Thailand, when I was there last year. I’m definitely having it whenever I’m there next, to taste the authentic flavor.
Enjoy a bowl of this Rice Soup with chicken (Thai Style) this winter and cozy up!
Rice Soup with Chicken (Thai Style)
by Hirra Pervaiz December-12-2017
Rice soup flavored with aromatic lemongrass, ginger and shredded chicken, served with Thai red chilies and roasted peanuts. A delicious comfort food to warm you up this winter!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: serves 2
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillet
- 1 Onion, small and thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Grass, dried
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup Reem ka Steam Rice, cooked
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, Fresh
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- Salt according to taste
- 3 Thai Red Chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled and julienne
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts, roasted, skin-on and unsalted
- Fresh Coriander
- Shredded Chicken (reserved)
- Chili Sauce
- Ginger, Julienne
- Lemon Wedges
- Cook Reem ka Steam Rice according to package instructions. Keep aside until further use
- In a large sauce pan bring chicken, chicken stock, sliced onion and garlic cloves to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken and garlic cloves from the pan to the cutting board and let cool. Discard onion from the stock mixture. Using the side of the Chef’s knife smash the garlic to make a paste and return to sauce pan. Stir to combine. Shred the chicken and set aside (reserve some for garnish)
- Add lemon grass and sliced ginger to the stock mixture and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Discard lemon grass and ginger from the mixture. Add cooked rice and simmer briefly
- Stir in lemon juice, fish sauce and shredded chicken. Taste check and add salt if needed or adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Ladle the hot rice soup in serving bowls. Garnish with red chilies, ginger, reserved chicken, roasted peanuts and fresh coriander