Got left-over rice? Let’s give it a new delicious twist. Sounds great, right? As part of the series of recipes with Rice that are creative, fun and delicious, this recipe of Vegetable-Stuffed Rice Balls is not only delicious but is an awesome way to use those left-over rice and turn them into
Inspired by the Italian favorite Arancini (Italian Rice balls) that are made with Risotto (Arborio rice, an Italian rice variety), these Vegetable-Stuffed Rice Balls are made with Basmati Rice. I’ve used Reem ka Steam Basmati Rice for creating this recipe. I had so much fun working on rice recipes and
What makes these rice balls even more exciting is the stuffing. The crisp outside, soft creamy inside with colorful vegetables, the combination is delicious. The breadcrumbs give the added crunch to it, making it even more crispier. I’ve used vegetables as stuffing for rice balls, you can use meat, cheese or any kind of stuffing as per your liking. You can be as creative as you want and go according to your taste palette.
Vegetable-Stuffed Rice Balls
- 2 Cups Reem ka Steam Basmati Rice (Cooked)
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (crushed)
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Vegetables (chopped)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (crushed)
- Mozzarella Cheese diced (as needed)
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Oil for frying
- Chili Sauce
- Cook Reem ka Steam Rice according to package instructions.
- In a large sauce pan bring Chicken Stock to a boil add rice and black pepper. Cook over a very low heat, stirring frequently until the stock has been absorbed. Rice will look overcooked but a perfect texture for rice balls. Keep aside to cool completely or refrigerate overnight.
- In another sauce pan over medium heat add oil, green chilies and minced. Saute until light golden and fragrant. Add the vegetables and the seasonings and stir. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Taste check and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Prepare the breading station: In a deep plate beat the eggs and season with a little salt and pepper. In two other deep plates keep flour and bread crumbs.
- To make the rice balls: Put some cooled rice in your hand keeping it cupped shaped (make sure you wet your hand a bit for easy handling) and flatten it. Place a tablespoon of filling and a pice of mozzarella in center along. Add a little more rice on the top and start closing it around filling into a ball shape.
- Dust the rice balls with flour, then roll in the egg and then in breadcrumbs until completely coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the rice balls until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with Chili Sauce.