Wraps and rolls are timeless appetizers and are also great as party finger foods or an evening snack. They also are handy to serve guests as these can be prepared and frozen in advance.
There is generally a confusion about the difference between egg wraps/rolls and spring rolls. According to my information and knowledge, Egg wraps are a Chinese style snack that consists of shredded meat and vegetables wrapped in dough made with egg and deep-Fried. Whereas, Spring rolls is a snack that consists of vegetables wrapped in a thin sheet of flour that becomes delicately crisp when fried. It’s said that spring rolls led to the creation of egg rolls/wraps. (That’s quite interesting.. No?)
This recipe is interesting too and hey! everything in this recipe is home made, yes even the egg wraps. So let’s get started with the recipe.
- Boiled and shredded Chicken 2 Cups
- Carrots 2 julienne
- Cabbage 1/2 head shredded
- Capsicum 2 julienne
- Soy Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Chili Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Oyster Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Black Pepper powder 1 tsp (or according to taste)
- Salt To taste
- Chinese Salt 1 tsp (optional) – I used it in my recipe
- Garlic Cloves 3 minced
- Ginger 1 tsp freshly grated
- Green Chilies 3 finely chopped
- Vegetable Oil 2-3 Tbsp
- Plain Flour 2 Cups
- Eggs 2
- Water 2.5 Cups
- Salt 1.5 tsp
- Cornflour 1-2 Tbsp
- Water 1/4 Cup
- Boil and shred the chiken
- In a wok or medium pan, heat oil. Add to it garlic and stir fry when it starts to change color add green chilies and ginger saute’ for about 30 seconds. Add soy sauce and mix
- Now add to it boiled and shredded chicken, salt, pepper, Chinese salt and mix well.
- Add the vegetables to the mixture, turn heat to medium high and stir fry vegetables until carrots have softened. (At this stage you will add oyster sauce – if you’re using it) toss well.
- Take the mixture out in a bowl and allow it to cool. (Make sure the mixture is cool when you start wrapping)
- To make the batter, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl using a balloon whisk or you can even blend it in the blender. (Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture)
- Heat a pan onto medium heat. Pour 1/2 a ladle of batter on to the pan and quickly tilt it so that it covers the pan.
- Cook it from one side only. (remove from pan when the sides begin to curl)
- In a small bowl, mix cornflour and water. A paste will be formed. This will be used to seal the wraps
To Make the Wraps
- Keep the filling on the uncooked side of the wrap. Place the filling as a line on the side facing you. (Make sure to leave some gap around the edges)
- Now carefully fold the left and right side of the wrapper over the mixture
- Gently pull away the edges of the wrapper facing you and roll over the filling
- Continue to fold the roll. Seal the end with the slurry
- Prepare all the rolls in the similar manner. You can either freeze the prepared rolls and fry later.
- For Frying: Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and shallow fry the wraps until golden.
- Serve hot with chili sauce!