Inspired by the Italian favorite Arancini (Italian Rice balls) that are made with Risotto (Arborio rice, an Italian rice variety), these Vegetable Stuffed Rice Balls are made with Basmati Rice. I’ve used Reem ka Steam Basmati Rice for creating this recipe. I had so much fun working on rice recipes and specially with Reem ka Steam Rice as the rice quality is great. It’s long grain rice, fragrant and takes less time to cook too.
Crunchy deep-fried rice balls stuffed with vegetables and a hint of sauce. A great way to use those left-over rice and turn them into an exciting snack
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 Cups Reem ka Steam Basmati Rice, Cooked
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, crushed
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Vegetables, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, crushed
- Mozzarella Cheese diced, as needed
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Oil for frying
- Chili Sauce
- Cook Reem ka Steam Rice according to package instructions.
- In a large sauce pan bring Chicken Stock to a boil add rice and black pepper. Cook over a very low heat, stirring frequently until the stock has been absorbed. Rice will look overcooked but a perfect texture for rice balls. Keep aside to cool completely or refrigerate overnight.
- In another sauce pan over medium heat add oil, green chilies and minced. Saute until light golden and fragrant. Add the vegetables and the seasonings and stir. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Taste check and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Prepare the breading station: In a deep plate beat the eggs and season with a little salt and pepper. In two other deep plates keep flour and bread crumbs.
- To make the rice balls: Put some cooled rice in your hand keeping it cupped shaped (make sure you wet your hand a bit for easy handling) and flatten it. Place a tablespoon of filling and a pice of mozzarella in center along. Add a little more rice on the top and start closing it around filling into a ball shape.
- Dust the rice balls with flour, then roll in the egg and then in breadcrumbs until completely coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the rice balls until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with Chili Sauce.