The temperature is going down, the morning and nights have become chilly now. Finally, the winters are coming (yay! ) I have planned a lot of new recipes for the winter. To start off, I decided to share this rich and creamy White Chicken Gravy recipe – it’s a perfect one for the chilly season.
This Pakistani style White Chicken (Safed Murg)is rich in flavour and texture. The recipe does not use any Tomatoes or Chili Powder and is still full of flavour, AMAZED? Well, there is more. As it is White Chicken so to maintain the white colour of the dish this recipe doesn’t use turmeric powder either! And this is what makes it an unconventional Pakistani chicken gravy recipe – no tomatoes, red chilli or turmeric.
Often, to give the gravy a touch of Mughlai cuisine, cashew nuts and almonds are added. However, I haven’t used these ingredients and have made this a simple, no-fuss White Chicken Gravy recipe.
This Weekend, instead of reaching for the takeaway menu try this White Chicken Gravy recipe. I’m sure it will
White Chicken Gravy Pakistani Style
- 1 Whole Chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1/4 cup Ghee/Oil (I used half ghee half butter)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (1 inch)
- 5-6 Cloves
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Onion (large, finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 5-6 Green Chili (chopped and ground)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 cup Cream or (1/2 cup Yogurt)
- 1-2 cup Chicken Stock (or Water, I used Chicken Stock)
- Fresh Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Fresh Ginger julienne for garnish
- Heat Ghee/Oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat, add whole spices (cinnamon stick, cloves and black peppercorns). Stir and saute for about 30-seconds until the spices are sizzling and fragrant.
- Now add the onions and saute. When they turn soft and translucent (don’t let the onion brown) add Ginger and Garlic paste. Saute till fragrant and colour changes a bit
- Add the Chicken and fry till its colour changes to golden. Add the green chillies and mix well. Now add about 1 cup water, cover the pan and let the chicken cook. For about 10-15 minutes until the water evaporates and chicken is cooked and tender.
- Add the spices, salt, black pepper, white pepper and coriander powder. Mix and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Move the pan away from heat and add the cream/yogurt. Mix and bring it to a simmer. Then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Taste check and adjust the seasoning if required. Check the consistency of the gravy consistency. (Add more water/stock if it’s too thick or add 1Tbsp cornflour mixed in water to thicken the gravy)
- Let simmer for 2 minutes. Dish out, garnish with fresh coriander and ginger julienne.
- Serve with Basmati rice, Naan or Khameeri Roti
For a vegetarian version of this recipe, the base gravy remains the same and you can simply replace chicken with potatoes, carrots, peas cottage cheese (paneer) or tofu. You can use vegetable stock or water in place of chicken stock.
As the flavors are mild, so it makes it a very kid-friendly recipes. You can adjust the spices as per your preference.
If you make this recipe, do share your feedback in the comments below.