Chicken and Spinach Bake is a hearty, crowd-pleasing, quick-fix for the weekend, parties or when you want that warm comfort food.
I love casserole dish, it is just so comforting to have everything in a dish, warm out of the oven, oozing with cheese, rich in flavour and easy to make. This chicken and spinach bake checks all boxes for being comforting casserole, it’s creamy, it’s cheesy and also includes my favourite vegetables too.
Chicken and Spinach Bake Recipe
I love chicken and spinach casserole dishes, these are two of my favourites in any casserole. In this recipe, shredded chicken, spinach and mashed potatoes are all mixed in a creamy white sauce with seasoning.
Everything is then added to a casserole, layered with cheese and breadcrumbs and baked for 10 minutes until its bubbly and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden.
There is no pasta in this chicken and spinach bake and I promise you won’t even miss it, once you try this casserole. It’s a family favourite and you can’t go wrong with this one because spinach and chicken are excellent together. Kids will love this too, even if you have picky eaters at home, they will enjoy this casserole.
Ingredients for Chicken and Spinach Bake
- Chicken – This baked casserole uses 1.5 cups of boiled and shredded chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken. If making from scratch just boil 1 chicken breast in 1 cup of water until tender and then shred the chicken.
- Spinach – Blanched spinach is added in the recipe, you can use frozen spinach too.
- Potatoes – bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 3 medium-sized potatoes and cook until tender. Drain and mash.
- White Sauce – butter, plain flour, milk and cream for the creamy white sauce
- Seasoning – salt, black pepper and white pepper for the perfect flavour
- Cheddar Cheese – grated cheddar cheese to make this casserole a little cheesy
- Breadcrumbs – for the crispy breadcrumb topping
Tips to Make the Perfect Chicken and Spinach Bake
- I have used shredded chicken but you can use rotisserie chicken, any shredded or even cubed chicken
- If you don’t want to use fresh spinach, swap for frozen spinach
- make it your own – feel free to add mushrooms, carrots, peas, sweetcorn or broccoli. you can also use other types of cheese like mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
- I used soft breadcrumbs to top the casserole, by pulsing bread slice in the food processor but any dry breadcrumbs can be used. crackers can also be used in place of breadcrumbs
- make it dairy-free – use vegan butter or olive oil, dairy-free milk (like almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk) and dairy-free cheese
- make it gluten-free – use gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs. you can use gluten-free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers crushed in place of breadcrumbs
- make-ahead – easily make this chicken and spinach bake ahead of time and bake it later (even one or two days later). Simply make the recipe as directed, don’t add cheese and breadcrumbs. Cover the dish with a foil and place in the fridge until ready to bake. Once ready to bake just add the cheese and the breadcrumbs and bake. It might need an extra 5-10 minutes of baking time.
More Recipes to Enjoy
- Rotini with Spicy Meat Sauce
- Crispy Chicken with Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne
- Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
Creamy Chicken and Spinach Bake
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth (optional)
- 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Chicken (boiled)
- 1 Cup Spinach (chopped and blanched)
- 3 Medium Potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 1/2 Cup Grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs (or as needed)
- Melted butter to drizzle
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix well until foamy
- Now slowly add in milk and stir continuously to avoid any lumps. Let it boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until it thicken.
- Remove the pot from heat and mix in cream, salt, black pepper and white pepper. Mix well
- Add chicken, spinach and potatoes to the mixture mix. Now add the chicken broth gradualy and mix well again. (check for the consistency before adding the entire cup of broth, the mixture shouldn't be too runny)
- Let the mixture simmer for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat and taste check
- Transfer the mixture in a casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and top with bread crumbs. Drizzle some melted butter on the crumbs.
- Pop the dish in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.
- Serve warm!
If you enjoy my recipes, I’d love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel for Video Recipes
For your Pinning Pleasure
Update Notes: This post was originally published on July 31, 2014, but was republished with new photos, tips and instructions in April of 2020