In this part of the world, we have the juiciest fruit from stone fruit family, Ruby Red Plums. These are gorgeous to look at and wonderfully delicious. While the season lasts and we still get fresh produce, the perfect way to use up this summer fruit is to make Spiced Plum Chutney.
In Pakistan, Plum Chutney is one condiment that is an absolute must and utterly delicious, made with dry plums. At special dinners at home, this chutney accompanies the desi Pakistani cuisine. But for this recipe of Spiced Plum Chutney that I am sharing, we will be using fresh plums. Plum Chutney has a bit of spice, some sweetness with a hint of tartness. It gets a gorgeous bright ruby red colour from the fresh plums. And the best thing is that you can prepare it in 30 minutes and can indulge in taste treasure right away.
It’s so so good that you can use it as a spread for breakfast, serve with cold meats, as a condiment with snacks and daily meals. And if you’re like me just dig in whenever you feel like, it’s that good!
The recipe involves just two steps and uses a few simple ingredients. Though it has sugar, a lot of it, you can always adjust according to your taste and liking. The trick, however, is to keep plum and sugar ratio to 1:1, so if you’re using 1 kg plums, you’ll add 1 kg sugar. The spices used in the recipe give it a kick of flavour cutting through the sweetness. Try it out, and I’m sure it will be a hit at your place too and will definitely tickle those tastebuds
More Condiment/Chutney Recipes
Spiced Plum Chutney (No Peel)
- 1/2 Kg Fresh Plums
- 1/2 Kg Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Red chili Powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom (ground)
- 1/4 Cup White vinegar
- Cut plums in have and remove the pit, don’t peel the skin.
- In a heavy bottom pan add plums and sugar over medium-high heat. Let cook till the sugar dissolves and plums are mixed. Keep stirring occasionally and bring it to a liquid jelly like consistency
- Add all the spices, mix well. Do a taste check and adjust spices according to taste.
- Let cool and store in a jar. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks